Over time, a lot of our daily habits can lead us to no longer have the bright white smile we want. Coffee, red wine, and tobacco can all contribute to us losing our radiant smiles. When looking to recapture your natural smile, teeth whitening may be the right option for you.
Teeth whitening or bleaching is a popular way to make your teeth whiter and brighter. Teeth whitening is a safe and noninvasive procedure meant to lighten the color of teeth’s enamel. There are several treatment options that can be done at home or in-office. Talk to your dentist today to find out which option is right for you.
In-office bleaching is the preferred method for those looking for immediate results. In about an hour, patients can start to achieve their desired results.
There are several steps to the in-office procedure:
- Your teeth are polished to remove any plaque or debris that has accumulated on the teeth’s surface or in between the teeth,
- A protective sealant is applied to the soft tissue surrounding the treatment area for protection.
- A bleaching gel containing hydrogen peroxide is applied for the specified treatment time.
- A focused light source may be applied to the treatment area to activate the bleaching gel.
Tray whitening is a less expensive, more gradual alternative done in the convenience of your own home.
- An impression is taken at your dentist’s office to create a customized tray specifically for your teeth.
- Once your trays are ready, your dentist will schedule an appointment with you to discuss proper treatment techniques for you to follow.
- Before starting your treatment, you need to make sure your mouth is clean with a full brushing, flossing, and rinsing program.
- Trays are typically worn for about an hour a day for two weeks. After the two weeks, a follow-up appointment will be held to go over your progress and discuss any necessary next steps.